As the interest in gorilla trekking in Africa continues to rise, our YPA clients are more eager than ever to plan this incredible adventure. Here are our top three gorilla trekking destinations: Uganda, Rwanda, and the Congo. Each of these destinations offer their own unique experience, which is why we’ve compiled this quick and easy round up to help you decide which location will work best for you:
Not only is Rwanda incredibly beautiful, but it’s the perfect spot for travelers looking to add a luxurious spin to their experience.
Reasons to go:
- Rwanda is logistically easy to travel to (with flights connecting from Europe and East Africa).
- It offers a variety of ultra-luxe accommodations.
- Gorgeous gorilla trekking experience in the Virunga Mountains (where seeing the gorillas is practically guaranteed).
- If you have more time, we recommend adding a second stop in Nyungwe Forest to trek for chimpanzees as well.
Starts from around $6000 USD per person in Rwanda for 3 nights and 1 gorilla trek.
A big drawcard for Uganda is the fact that it’s more cost-effective than Rwanda. It remains a highly sought-after destination beyond the price point, however, because walking in the world-famous Bwindi Impenetrable Forest, which is only accessible by foot, is without a doubt an experience you will never forget.
Reasons to go:
- Easy arrival at Entebbe International Airport and pre-arranged hotel transfers.
- Experienced gorilla trackers will lead you on the slopes of the volcanoes, and once you find the gorilla troop you are tracking, you will spend an hour with the gorillas.
- Sleep in a forest camp, nestled deep inside the world-famous Bwindi Impenetrable Forest.
- Meet up with some local people in the nearby Buhoma Village, for insight into the cultural aspect of this beautiful country.
Starts from $4800 per person for 3 nights with 1 gorilla trek.
Our Congo itinerary is perfect for the active adventurer, offering multiple chances to observe these captivating and critically endangered animals on three gorilla treks.
Reasons to go:
- Gorilla trekking in the Congo is wild compared to Rwanda and Uganda, so we recommend this trip for the adventurous traveler wanting an immersive experience.
- Meet the Western Lowland Gorilla research team in person before you embark on your first trek.
- Get onto the water and experience a kayak safari or sundowner river cruise.
- Additional activities also include guided forest night walks and numerous community and cultural interactions.
Starts from $3800 per person for 3 nights with 1 gorilla trek.
Regardless of your chosen gorilla trekking destination, one truth remains: with only about 1,000 gorillas left in the wild, this is an undeniable bucket-list experience. Their scarcity emphasizes our responsibility. As we step into their world, let’s remember the importance of respect and care. Our actions today will shape the future of these majestic creatures, ensuring they endure for generations to come. Let’s preserve their legacy, allowing our children to share in this remarkable experience.