Visiting the Masai Mara Game Reserve in Kenya is an experience of a lifetime. Sustainably minded travelers are curious to know, do safari camps with a light footprint exist? Cue Emboo River, a carbon neutral camp in the Masai Mara offering a unique style of eco luxury that our very own Your Private Africa owner, Nick, is excited about:
“Emboo River is a hot seller that is targeting a younger vibe and demographic. Not only are these family-owned, classic-style tented camps with modern touches becoming few and far between, but this camp offers good value for experience in the Mara. Plus, it’s a hero in sustainable conservation to boot.”
A stay at Emboo River is a regenerative experience in more ways than one. It’s a beautiful setting, with luxurious finishes that leave you wanting for nothing, but there’s an honesty and authenticity attached to every experience that makes you feel like you’re a real part of the Emboo story.
Emboo is minimizing its impact on the landscape and giving back what it takes out in so many ways, but here are some of our favorite highlights:
- The camp is 100% solar powered
- Electric vehicles allow for quieter game drives with zero CO2 emissions
- The camp filters 100% of the waste water generated, using local wetland plants to help clean and reuse the water to flush toilets, for example.
- The rooms’ luxurious and modern furniture were all handmade by local artisans, empowering the local community.
- Emboo has launched a tree planting project, called ‘Rooting for our future’, and plants an average of 50 trees a month. This is both for reforestation purposes and for the guests to help offset their carbon impact for their travel between Nairobi and Emboo River.
Want to know more about the many innovative, sustainable ways in which Emboo River is the first ‘closed loop’ lodge of its kind? Check out their infographic here.
If visiting the first carbon neutral safari lodge in the Masai Mara has suddenly found its way on your 2023 travel list, we can’t blame you. Get in touch so that we can arrange this once-in-a-lifetime experience for you.